What To Do When You Smell Mold in the House?
One of the oddest parts about getting mold in your house is the smell. It is an odd, musty, smell that immediately makes you think of mold and rotting wood or moisture in the wallpaper. The interesting part is that it is hard to mistake it for anything else. Mold does have a distinct smell and based on where it is located, this smell can significantly spread throughout the house.
We don’t give enough credit to our sense of smell. While our noses are definitely not as useful as those of dogs, our sense of smell can play a huge role. From nice scents to bad ones, your nose can give you a lot of messages. For example: When food has gone bad, you can smell it and find out for sure. Rotting food has a smell that is difficult to mistake and similarly, mold has a certain stench that is difficult to mistake for anything else.
So, imagine you are walking into your basement or some other area of the house and you can smell mold in your house. What do you do? Do not dismiss it, especially if the smell keeps coming to you throughout the day. Mold that has matured and spread does begin to give off an unpleasant odor.
If you can smell it, chances are that it has spread or developed further. This also means that you won’t be dealing with a small amount of mold here. Also, mold smells different in different conditions. The smell will depend on its strength, where and how far it has spread, the kind of environment it is growing in, the kind of mold it is and what it is growing on. For example: Mold in the basement, an area that is usually damp, dark and closed off might be stronger, not only because of the lack of wind circulation, but also because mold has a perfect environment to grow at an accelerated rate.
You Smelt It, Now What?
Now that the smell of mold won’t leave your house, it is time to make sure that you consider getting rid of it. A major problem with mold is that it not only harms the structural integrity of your house, it also makes a huge impact on the indoor air quality.
Bad indoor air quality levels can then translate into various health-related problems for everyone so it is a good idea to make use of the following tips to handle the mold problem:
When you can smell mold, you might also be experiencing other signs that can indicate that you have mold growing in your home. Look for other signs such as increased allergic reactions at home. If you’re getting watery eyes, coughing, skin itchiness and more, it could be because of the presence of the mold spores in the indoor environment.
You can also look towards the wallpaper and the paint of the house. It can appear to get spots or stains on it. Unless you have a very old house, you shouldn’t get stains. Do keep in mind that stains on walls and spots can occur because of other problems too so you should really try to confirm that you have mold before you deem it as such.
Confirm its Presence
When it comes to smelling mold, you can’t just smell it and assume it is mold. Sometimes, a dirty air vent or too much moisture can give off a stench that is very similar to whn you have mold growing. While the smell is definitely the first and useful indicator, visual confirmation is definitely required before you can pull out the big guns. This is also the case because different kinds of mold need to be handled differently. Improper identification can also mean that you are either too overzealous in your approach and end up wasting money or are too relaxed and end up negatively impacting the quality of your life.
For this reason, it is a good idea to identify that you have mold in your home before you begin to take any measures against it. The good part here is that mold is really difficult to overlook so if you have mold, there can be no mistaking its presence. While you shouldn’t try to identify what kind of mold you have, since all kinds of mold tend to appear similar to each other, it is best to see how much it has spread and what areas it has travelled to. By confirming its presence, you can also work out what and how you need to address the issue. Mold that grows indoors is different than mold that grows outdoors. It is a good idea to formulate a mold removal plan based on this aspect.
Seal off the Area
Once you are sure of the presence of mold, you need to seal the area off for others. The unfortunate part is that mold, even the harmless kind, is an irritant. Mold releases spores into the air as it matures and these spores not only help to spread it further, but they are also easy to inhale. Once they are inhaled, they can act as allergens in the body and trigger allergies. In some cases, prolonged exposure to mold spores has resulted in respiratory problems, skin problems and severe allergic reactions in children and even in adults.
If you have black mold, it is necessary to seal the area off since exposure to black mold spores can cause toxic mold poisoning. With toxic mold poisoning, a person cannot only suffer from respiratory problems, but can also experience other symptoms, including severe headaches, skin irritations, nausea and neurological damage. There have also been cases where prolonged exposure to toxic mold has resulted in toxic mold poisoning, which has been responsible for deaths. Seeing as how deadly it can be, it is better to seal the area off. By sealing off the area, you can diminish exposure and ensure that no one is needlessly exposed to mold spores.
Remove the Source of Food
Rotting wood, moisture, old wallpaper, junk such as old newspapers, all serve as good sources of food for mold. Even if you seal the area off, mold can continue to grow with ease if it has a food source. A good idea is to opt to remove all items that mold has been feeding on. Often times, there can also be an undetected leak that could have caused the presence of the mold. Flooding of basements or a burst pipe can cause considerable damage and create an environment that is great for the mold to grow in.
In such scenarios, it is a good idea to get pipelines checked. A good option is to ensure that when you are storing items, you do your best to do it properly. Old newspapers lying around can provide mold with room to grow, especially if they keep getting wet. You should also be careful to avoid disturbing the mold. This only releases more spores into the environment and can be harmful for you.
Call the Professionals
When you have mold growth in the house, it is a good idea to call in the experts to handle it for you. Mold can be difficult to remove and if it isn’t eliminated properly, it can come back in the same spot. It is difficult to get rid of microscopic spores. Luckily, the professionals you call are going to be equipped with the necessary knowledge and tools to handle your mold problems. With their expertise, they cannot only remove it properly, but are also able to apply correct treatments based on the type of mold it is. This will prevent the mold from reappearing.
You should make sure to call professionals as soon as you seal off the area where the mold is growing. In fact, once you have visual confirmation, pick up the phone and call them. If professionals are taking too long to show up, seal off the area and remove the source of food. After that, wait for the professionals. In many instances, let’s say, in the case of the presence of black mold, it might be better for you to simply seal off the area and get out of the house. Exposure to black mold is extremely toxic and until it is completely removed, your house may not be safe for you to be in.
Get in Touch with Us
If you are searching for a good professional for mold removal or to improve the quality of your indoor air, get in touch with Air Restoration. Specializing in fighting mold, testing the indoor air quality and also running healthy inspections, Air Restoration can ensure that your home is safe and free of mold.
Our team of experts is extremely skilled at ensuring that all mold is properly removed and that your home is safe and healthy for everyone. To get an inspection or for to get more information about our indoor air quality and mold removal services, send an email to email@example.com or call on 226.898.3488